Saturday, March 19, 2011

strike of genius


I just had a brilliant idea. I think. Hopefully. I love blogs. I do. I love writing. Heck, it's what I'm studying to be, a creative writer. My business card says 'writer' on one side, for crying out loud, but I'm somewhat of a flake. My English teacher in the 12th grade called me 'Flakenstein' (ouch!), but I had a strike of genius, just know. I know what I want to write about. I love film. It's one of those things you really can't explain, all I can say is that whenever I see a film in a theater (you know the ones you actually want to pay to see) or read a piece of good news or see filmmaking equipment, my heart beats faster.

My friend Jo and I went to the Tonight Show yesterday afternoon. Rainn Wilson was there and blah, we love him. Anyway, that's beside the point. Yes, I'll arrive at the point. While we were waiting for the show to start, I told her that every time I saw a cameras, filmmaking equipment, apple boxes, you name it, my eyes widened and all I could think was, "oh, fun, I want to play." I told her how that shows what kind of person I am. I saw that she was confused, so I went deeper and gave her examples. Like when someone who really wants to be a musician might see drums, microphones, guitars, and think what I think when I see film stuff. Or how someone who loves to cook sees an awesome oven or pots and pans, and thinks how great it would be to cook with those objects. Or a person who loves cars and sees car parts. She understood. I don't get these happy and exciting thoughts when I see a drum set or an oven or an awesome motor, I get them when I see some lights, sandbags and cameras. So I know, that what I want to write about concerns film (and possibly TV).

But I don't want a website like The Hollywood Reporter or /Film even though they are awesome. I want a blog where I can express myself and be mean and super nice. I don't like to be completely unbiased because I have biased opinions. At the same time, it seems like only fashion blogs get all the attention and fashion bloggers get all the perks. I love fashion, but that's not my subject. I like to sit in the stands and yell out, "Yay!" But when it comes to film, I want to be the damn pitcher.

So my first idea was to start a blog about film and to pick some piece of news and just say what's on my mind, but I got a better idea, hence the name of the blog. Reel Runaways. Women. Yes. Guess it yet? I think I'm still developing the idea in my head, but my idea is to cover the women in film. My best friend gave me a book for christmas 'Women in Film.' It's a sign. Film is a man's world, and I hate it because I'm a woman. But just because the men are on top doesn't mean women aren't pretty amazing filmmakers. I'm excited. I love film. I love being a woman. I love this challenge. I love this idea. I can express myself and my passion and talk about those amazing women making films. I want to be one of them someday. Geez, I will be one of them some day. My name is Laura and I'm a filmmaker (smiley face).


(Sofia Coppola, Tonight Show audience, young Jodie Foster, Bonnie Curtis, Kathryn Bigelow)

No comments: