Monday, March 28, 2011

It wasn't love at first sight, this time


I didn't know Lykke Li had a new record out. It's not that I'm not a devoted fan because, I am. I've seen her live thrice and I discovered her before the indie kids. But I clearly remember her saying that she wasn't going to make another album for some time. Mmm, now that I think about it, three years is some time. But she kept putting live shows and singing the same material that I figured it be at least five years before she made another album. So when I read, like two weeks ago, in Foam magazine that Lykke Li had a new album out, I wanted to punch the wall. But I waited, until last week. One of my best friends got me the CD, along with a BCBG grey clutch for my birthday and I couldn't wait to listen to it. I got home after my birthday dinner on Thursday and listened to that bad boy. 


It was okay the first time I listened to it. It had to grow on me. Wounded Rhymes didn't suck me in like Youth Novels had in 2008. Wounded Rhymes has grown on me since I first listened to it four days ago, and I've learned to love a handful of songs by now. But the insta-feeling was so different when I listened to Youth Novels for the first time. I think the big issue is that Youth Novels felt so personal, and at the time I was still a teenager, and I had just gotten my heart broken. It was the perfect music to listen to during that time in my life. Now I'm 22, and definitely not in love. But I think that even if I was, Wounded Rhymes wouldn't feel like the super personal masterpiece that Lykke Li's debut was. Wounded Rhymes is a strong follow-up, and maybe I just set the bar too high, (like when I watched The Big Lebowski and was disappointed because everyone had said how great it would be -- bar too high), but what else can you do when you get something like Youth Novels?


Wounded Rhymes is still growing on me and I want to be in love with it soon. It might've not been love at first sight, but this won't stop me from loving Lykke Li -- she's a poet and beautiful. 


No comments: