Monday, March 14, 2011

at the Arclight, you made my heart smile


When I woke up last Friday, all I could think was -- movies! I hadn't been to the theater in quite some time because I wasn't into what was being released, until 'Jane Eyre.' I dragged myself all the way to Hollywood because the film is only playing at the Arclight. Don't get me wrong. I love the Arclight. It's big. There's no lines. And you get to see the rich and famous from time to time. But the damn theater is still about 20 minutes away from my neighborhood (say NO to Hollywood housing). Well 'Jane Eyre' was all that and a bag of chips, and worth the $13.50 (plus lunch I spent at Yoshinoya). But that's not what this post is about. I don't want to review 'Jane Eyre.' Go see it, if it's playing near you. This is to brag about a new upcoming movie that got me so excited while I was sitting by myself at the theater. First see the trailer and then I can divulge on my excitement for the movie.






Isn't it wonderful? It's so, so wonderful (repetitive much)! The dog, Christopher Plummer, and ... Melanie Laurent. I wasn't expecting this preview so when I saw it, it totally made me ubber happy. Trailers set my mood for the film, and this trailer did it for me. So I'll give you a quick synopsis of what the film will be about...

A young man (Ewan McGregor) is rocked by two announcements from his elderly father: that he has terminal cancer, and that he has a young male lover.

I admit, the plot sounds a bit extreme. However, this is a talented cast who can make something as extreme as this work.

'Beginners' is opening at the 54th San Francisco International Film Festival on April 21st. The film was written and directed by Mike Mills. This is his second feature film. I never saw his first, but I have high-hopes for this one. 'Til June 3rd, 'til June 3rd.

No comments: